"Know your ideal client and make them an offer they can’t refuse"
Will from SEO Melbourne helps people find your business online. Read about his journey and top tips.
1. Tell me about your business and why you started it
I had spent over 10 years in the big corporate environment and had the chance to take a package and embraced it. The big corporate environment really makes it difficult to create and implement innovative and effective marketing strategies. I really wanted to work with people who were entrepreneurially minded business owners with a strong focus on making their business more successful. It is so much more fun helping people who are willing and able to be helped. My business has evolved from traditional marketing consulting into internet marketing including a big focus on ranking business sites on page 1 of Google (search engine optimization or seo as it’s often known). In recent months my business evolved further with the introduction of an internet marketing coaching program which is aimed at business owners who want to do some work themselves but need an experienced guide and some support. This has really taken off and in coming months I will be launching an internet marketing membership site which teach only things that work right now each month to members. This means that no matter what the size of the business they can still get access to information that will specifically help them grow their business using simple internet marketing techniques.
2. What has been the hardest thing about starting your own business?
The toughest thing has been the isolation that comes from running a home based internet marketing business. I have worked to overcome this with networking and attending as many business events as I can. There are many people in the same situation and when you connect with them everyone benefits. The other critical thing is making sure that my revenue is diversified across a range of products/services and clients. You need your business to have this otherwise it is too dependent on a small number of things and if something changes (as business always does) you can find yourself in trouble.
3. What are your top 2 marketing tips that really helped your business grow?
1. You absolutely must know who your ideal client in as much detail as possible. If you know this then it makes it easier to find them and easier to create marketing that they will respond to. This is really valuable now with the incredible targeting capabilities within Facebook Ads.
2. You must make them an offer they can’t refuse. Business is built on know, like and trust. The relationship starts out with the prospect highly (and rightly) sceptical of your business. So make it easy for them to come into your business. Offer some free help or valuable information to get them on your list and keep communicating valuable things with them until they are ready to become a client.
4. What is your vision for your business?
To be helping as many entrepreneurially minded business owners around the World as I can. Either via coaching or my upcoming membership site. I want to allow people to create the life they want through having a successful business. The business is a vehicle for that and should not be all consuming or stressful.William has been kind enough to offer Sidekicker blog readers a free e-book highlighting 10 mistakes small business owners make with their website, you can download it here.